23 Mar [DIY} Gold Leaf Nail Art Tutorial
Hey friend! If you love gold accessories and are inspired by all of the gold leaf we’re seeing in home design, you have to try doing gold leaf on your nails. I’ve seriously had this MAC gold leaf in my make-up kit for YEARS and am glad to finally have some use for it.
This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and love. (wink!)
What you will need:
- Base coat
- Nail polish of choice (I am obsessed with Smith & Cult!)
- Top coat
- Gold leaf
- Orange Stick, toothpick, tweezers, or wooden skewer
- Before starting, use your orange stick to break a sheet of gold leaf into pieces. I tried to ensure there were no hard edges and that there were a variety of sizes.
- Apply base coat to all nails and wait to dry.
- Apply two coats of polish to nails and wait to dry.
- Apply top coat to one nail and then use your orange stick to pick up a piece of gold leaf and set it into the top coat, lightly tapping it down to make sure it lays flat. If you are having trouble picking up the gold leaf, dip the tip of the orange stick in a tiny bit of top coat to get it to stick. Get creative! I used a few pieces on each nail, but it would be pretty to just do the ring fingernail.
- Do the same with the rest of your nails.
- Apply top coat to seal in the gold leaf.*
*Make sure that your nail polish and top coat are compatible. I found out the hard way that the first top coat I tried would not work and had to switch to a new one. I ended up using Mineral Fusion base coat, Smith & Cult nail polish (‘Honey Hush’), and 100% Pure top coat.
Let me know if you try this at home and make sure to tag @ocholisticbeauty on Instagram so I can see your artwork!